Mexican Wood Console Table
The piece was worn and dry, so after giving it a good sanding all over, I went over it with some wood conditioner. I knew I’d be staining the topside so if I lift it dry, the stain would not cover evenly. Check out, the nice water ring on top from a plant I had sitting there. In no time, you won’t even notice.
Affter I sanded and conditioned, I went to work on the legs. You’ll notice in some of my other work, I like to work with browns and blues. My next project will be white! But since I was painting hte legs a medium blue, I used my tinted primer, which was just a shade lighter than the paint I went for. This helps when you go into the distressing phase. I didn’t want to see any white paint showing through underneath.
I see to be missing a few shots I took of the darker paint being applied, the distressing (this is really where the “therapy” piece comes in) and the glaze over the top. I used a dark walnut stain (3 coats) and finished the whole thing off with a few layers of Polycrylic. It will help the top stand up to some normal wear and tear.
And the finished product.. I had planned to paint & sell this piece right away to make more room in my living room. But I loved how it looked so much, I decided to hold onto it for awhile. It got moved back into it’s place, behind the sofa.
Hope you like the piece. I really enjoyed the process!